Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Trick-or-Treating with Angelina

On election day, I saw this photo of Angelina Jolie that filled me with memories of my DC days.

If you look close at one of Angelina's 7,000 children -- who I guess is dressed as a greasy mechanic for Halloween -- you'll notice a unique hat. It says "Council on Foreign Relations." CFR -- as it's commonly known -- was my former stomping grounds when I was personal assistant for Gene Sperling, who is now a top advisor to Treasury Sec. Geithner. CFR was our home base for the 7 or more jobs Gene had at the time. Although Gene is known for his economic work, he did a ton with education issues in developing country, specifically with woman. During my year with him, Angelina Jolie met with him countless times to go over talking points, etc. for her outreach work and she served as honorary chairperson for an event we ran that year for the Global Campaign for Education (GCE). Unfortunately, Angelina was in Namibia having her baby with Brad Pitt at the time. She no doubt got the hat the following year when she actually visited CFR. Still, kinda neat to be connected to this picture in a 6 degrees type way.

Cool side note -- after my year with Gene, I went back to teaching for 2 more years at at DC Prep, a charter school in northeast DC. Gene heard that I was doing in-class connections about the GCE with my students and invited me and some select students to meet Shakira - that year's honorary chair of the event! Here's some pics from the day:

(Ja'Nay McCray, my ex-girlfriend, Erika Murray, Dijion Howard, and me)

(Ja'Nay and Erika demonstrating how great they are!)

(Ja'Nay and Erika console Shakira after I told her we had to see other people)

No comments:

Post a Comment