Saturday, November 7, 2009

Sweeney Todd @ St. Joe's Prep


Last night was Opening Night of Sweeney Todd at my beloved alma mater St. Joe's Prep. Quick SJP joke I heard this week and loved:

Q: "How many Prep Guys does it take to screw in a lighbulb?"
A #1: "FIVE -- 1 to screw it in and 4 to scream 'Yeah Prep!'"
A#2: "FIVE -- 1 to screw it in and 4 to talk about how awesome it was for the next 30 years."

Funny cause it's true :)

Anywho -- Sweeney Todd is another stunning success on the Prep stage. Technically, this is the most intense show the Prep has taken on since my days as a student. Set changes complete with a spinning parlor/house/barbershop, 2 movable staircases, and a shaving chair with a slide to help Sweeney's dirty work are all highlights (The first time the chair was used last night got applause mid-song!). I had the opportunity to spend a lot of time with the stage crew during the rehearsal pricess this time around and I couldn't be more proud of a group of guys. The set looks amazing -- as always -- and in true Prep form the set changes are executed like several characters in the show -- very professionally. (Rimshot!)

As for actors -- I don't know where to begin for fear of leaving someone out, but some amazing moments from last night:

  • Every single thing Kevin Toniazzo-Naughton '11 (Sweeney) and Gianna Yanelli (Lovett) MMA '10 did. The quintessential production of Sweeney with Angela Landsbury was an inspiration for SJP's version. There are moments that these 2 highschool actors capture as well as 2 Broadway legends.
(Gianna Yanelli MMA '10 and Kevin Toniazzo-Naughton '11)
  • Joe Binck '11 (Tobias) singing "Nothing's Gonna Harm You" in Act 2. Solid performance all around by Binck, he nailed this number and it's amazing to see how far his as come as an actor, person, and singer.
  • The chemistry between Brendan Lash '10 (Anthony) and Anne Wechsler MMA '10 (Johanna). Both take complicated -- and at times boring songs -- and make clear and engaging choices.
(Brendan Lash '10 as Anthony and Anne Wechsler MMA '10 as Johanna)
  • Freddy Ventura '11 (Judge Turpin) has the creepiness of Alan Rickman in Die Hard (mostly because he looks like him) and serves as such a worthy adversary to KTN's menacing Sweeney. Freddy off the stage is one of the most polite and humble people I've ever met -- it makes this performance even more impressive.
  • Hasani Allen '12 (Beadle Bamford) -- as a Mad Hatter look-alike -- is strong as the Judge's #2. Great work with the accent if I do say so myself :)
  • Kelly Leonard MSJA '11 (Beggar Woman) was SO impressive. She completely disappeared on stage and really knocked my socks off.
  • Pat Dooley '10 showed why he is one of the funniest actors in SJP history as Adolfo Pirelli.
  • Everyone else -- before I get carpal tunnel -- was wonderful. I thought the ensemble was particularly good in "God That's Good!" at the beginning of Act 2.

(Joe Binck '11 as Tobias)

I can't wait to see all of these performances grow over the run of the show. I encourage anyone in the Philly area to come see this production. I guarantee -- for only $10 -- you will see a Broadway caliber show. Honestly, if you come see the show and are not satisfied, I will will personally give you your money back. I'm that sure that I won't have to spend a dime. And don't just take my word -- Tom Byrn a local actor who was in Spinning Into Butter with me in April and will be appearing in On Golden Pond at Act 2 Playhouse in Ambler this month took me up on an invitation to see SJP's Urinetown and was throughly impressed. I saw him after a show 2 weeks ago and he brought up Urinteown and how great it was.

Get ticket for Sweeney Todd here.

2 comments:

  1. I also thought the lighting was great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very true. The lighting was amazing -- all around a wonderful show. I was also there Saturday and it was even better. I'll be back again Thurs. Hope you go again as well and encourage others to check it out.

    ReplyDelete