Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Remembering Smarty


Although the news right now is cluttered with the swine flu scare (which is super scary), the 135th Kentucky Derby is also managing to get some press since it's up this weekend.  I love watching the Derby, but I don't think anything will compare to Smarty Jones' almost historic triple crown run a few years ago.  Maybe it was because Philly (at the time) was going through massive championship withdrawal or maybe it was because everything about the horse was so compelling -- the owners, the trials and tribulations of the jockey.  Whatever it was, I still think of that horse each time the Derby rolls around.  Barbaro got the HBO special and even more attention, but Smarty Jones will always have a place in my heart.

PS.. For those who know me, you'll know how hard it was for me not to make one "glue" joke.  I can have some tact...sometimes :)

No comments:

Post a Comment