Thursday, May 6, 2010

Another Reason to Be a Good Proofreader

I'm a poor speller. I look up words online all the time to see whether or not I get the "did you mean [fill in the blank]?" prompt several times a day. I just saw a wonderful production of "The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee" at Montgomery Theater, and had a conversation with the other actors about how I think it would be hard for me to be in a show where I needed to constantly spell crazy hard words correctly. (Side note -- only 4 performances left-- get your tickets now! The show was amazingly funny!)

Nevertheless, because of my spelling deficiencies I constantly read things that I write out loud to catch spelling and grammar mistakes. I'm still not a syntax hawk, but I'm better than the days when my motto was "Who needs to be a good speller? Just have a good personality and spell check will do the rest." FYI -- Hobor3 still follows this adage.

This brings us to this cake celebrating 50 years in baseball for the Atlanta Braves manager:

Now, I didn't give his name yet, but if you've followed baseball at all for the past 30 years, you already know where this is going. The Braves skipper's name is Bobby COX. I'm assuming I don't need to spell out the problem/joke here (and yes, if you're wondering, that lame pun WAS intended).

Being a Phillies fan means I don't like Mr. Cox, but I do love the way he laughed the incident off saying: "That's funny. What bakery did he get the cake? That's what I want to know."

I can think of two people loving this faux pas: 1) Cake Wrecks and 2) The University of South Carolina. (BTW - Congrats to soon-to-be USC Acting MFA student Joe Mallon. Those who know Joe already know that Joe has that hat in at least 5 different colors and styles. (Joe knows that.")

No comments:

Post a Comment