Sunday, January 3, 2010

The Amazing Johnny Mercer

First off, Happy 2010! Haven't written anything for the faithful readers of The Brown Note in a few weeks -- all 2 of you. To start off for this new decade, I thought I would share from a show that I love so much each week -- CBS Sunday Morning. Fr. Ryan Maher SJ described the show to me in high school as "poetry on TV." The show is brilliant and is always filled with in-depth profile and pointed commentaries.

This morning, I was loving a piece on lyricist Johnny Mercer. I knew that Mr. Mercer had penned the words for so many famous songs including some of my favorites of all time: "Summer Wind," "Days of Wine and Roses," "Moon River," and "One for my Baby" to name a small few. The piece on Sunday Morning filled you in on the plethora of songs his wrote but also gave insight into the tortured, flawed side of the man. It was a great story and I look forward to finding out more about him. The clip isn't up on CBS yet, but you can read more here.

No comments:

Post a Comment